This is a form of a telescope that will allow you to view objects far. In order to do so it requires the use of two separate telescopes. The reason that there are two telescopes is so there is one for each eye to allow for binocular vision. When using only one telescope device it is referred to as monocular. Using binoculars it allows the user to have viewing that is three-dimensional along with promoting visual clarity.
People prefer using them over a monocular for many reasons:
• Many are lightweight
• Usually small enough to be handheld
• Can be stored and carried easily
• Easier to hold and steady for viewing because both hands are working to steady them in a more stable and comfortable position.
They also offer many practical applications for professionals and hobbyists.
• They are a must for hunters and bird watchers because what they are viewing are many times far away or high in a tree
• When at a professional sporting event it can help to bring the action closer, especially if you are far away
• They are an essential part of a seafaring’s vessels equipment
• Can be used in many environmental positions such as meteorology and geology
• Military uses them in many military applications
• In some tourist attractions the binoculars are large and swivel-mounted so tourists can put coins in them to few objects far away, such as in the Grand Canyon
In order to magnify an image for the viewer they use a series of prisms. On the far end of the binoculars, there is a large ocular lens that takes in all the light that the lens can capture. However, the image is inverted. Using the naked eye the image would be seen upside down, which is not very useful to the user. In order to rectify this, a prism is placed between the first lens and your eye so the image can be flipped over when looking at it. A prism, in the field of optics, is a transparent object that has a flat, smooth side that refracts light and is commonly made of clear plastic or glass. It may be made of other material but it has to be transparent to the light source that is to be refracted to work.
Although the image is now right side up it still may need to be focused to give you a clearer image. To do that you would use the center focus adjustment knob. You could also make the image clearer by moving the individual eyepieces so they line up with your eyes. The porro prism binoculars are the type that is most commonly used. This type uses an ocular, also referred to as a positive eyepiece, to look at the images. It will invert the image and in order to make the image appear to be right side up it uses a system of prisms or mirrors. This type allows for greater image quality and magnification.