For a person majoring in microbiology a microscope is one of their most important tools. Using a microscope allows the microbiologist to observe specimens that are magnified more than one thousand times their size and would be impossible to see with the naked eye if they were not able to magnify them.
One of the most common microscopes used today in biology, physiology, and anatomy. It is considered a light microscope or optical microscope. This type of microscope is used to observe plants, metal samples, microorganisms like bacteria, and small animals in great detail. The compound microscope has to optical parts, or lens, which are the objective and ocular lens. When using a compound microscope you can have approximately two thousand times magnification.
There are several different types of compound microscopes which include:
• Standard compound light-with this type of compound microscope the eyepiece lens is in line with the nose piece that revolves and holds two or more objective lenses. The images under this microscope can enlarge, four, ten, forty, or one hundred times.
• Stereo-it is also referred to as a dissecting microscope and has a low magnification power. They are the microscopes that are used to observe specimens that are a little larger in size. There are two optical paths at different angles that let the microbiologist see the specimens under the microscope in three dimensions. It is used to for dissection, fine repair during microsurgery, and forensics.
• Metallurgical-this is the type of microscope that is used to observe plastic, ceramic, metal and other materials. The microscope also helps observe metal fatigue, surface structure, etc.
• UV-this type uses UV light in order to produce an image that is two times the resolution that is seen in visible light microscopy. The source of light comes from xenon or arc burner. Because UV light is harmful to your eye in order to observe the image either photographic film or a digital sensor is used to produce the image.
• Fluorescence-this type uses short-wavelength, high-energy light to excite the electrons of certain molecules that are found in the sample you are looking at.
• Digital-this type of microscope uses CCD/CMOS sensors along with optical lenses to provide one thousand times magnification power. This microscope is used to get high quality recorded images of different specimens. Commonly this microscope has a two million pixel camera and a fifteen inch monitor. The digital camera is attached to this type of microscope and then connected to a computer or LCD monitor.