Manufacture of cotton bags –
Cotton bags come in various types, but the process of manufacture is nearly the same for all of them. Cotton bags are made from natural cotton, and are therefore of no threat to the environment whatsoever. In some cases, cotton may be blended in with other materials such as jute, to provide the bags with more consistency and strength.
Once the basic material has been decided upon, the cotton cloth or the blended material is cut into pieces of the required shape and size. A stretching machine is then used to stretch these pieces in order to provide elasticity and tensile strength to the foundation of the bag. Once the required amount of stretching has been achieved, the stretched pieces are tailored together using a sewing machine.
When the final product needs to be of a certain color, the initially cut pieces are dyed accordingly. Also, in case a logo or a brand name has to be incorporated on to the bag, it can be stitched into the material or printed on it.
Advantages of using cotton bags –
These bags have several advantages over plastic bags. Let us look at some of the obvious ones.
• These bags are ecofriendly. They use environmentally friendly materials, and even on disposal, do not degenerate in a toxic manner. They can be recycled into several other useful products.
• The process of manufacturing cotton bags is also environment friendly. There is not much utilization of power, and as a result of this energy efficient method of manufacture, no unwanted wastage of resources occurs.
• These bags are friendlier on the human skin, as opposed to plastic bags that may cause rashes, itching, or even other deadlier infections.
• They are also economical, meaning that one can get the same amount of storage space with a cotton bag as with a plastic or leather bag, and at a much better price.
• Of course, there is one other huge advantage for bag lovers. Colors look much better and more vibrant in cotton. There are a wide variety of designs and colors to choose from.
Having understood the positive impact that cotton bags have on human life as well as on the environment, the time is right to make the switch from leather, plastic and other toxic materials to cotton, jute, and friendlier ingredients. This one small step will go a long way to save the earth, and all of us.