You have had the same bedroom suite for years, and you have finally decided it was time to upgrade it all. Furniture, bedding, and most importantly, the mattress. So, off you go to the store to pick out a new mattress – only to discover that the choices seem endless and that making a decision is overwhelming – and then some.
So how do you begin to choose the perfect mattress for your needs? After all, it is no longer a matter of soft or firm, standard, queen or king. No there are varying thicknesses, levels of firmness, adjustable beds, heated ones, and on and on, and on it goes. So, the decision is one that will require some basic understanding of what you like and what is best for your body – after all, the goal is to make getting a good night's sleep easy, right?
Tips for Buying a New Mattress
1. Talk to your doctor to learn if there is a particular design that might make sleeping well easier or if there is a specific level of firmness you should have or avoid.
2. Do some online research to learn what people are saying about specific types of mattresses. Check out websites that talk about sleep, and not just consumer sites.
3. Know what size mattress your bedframe can hold before you get to the store This will make narrowing down the choices easier.
4. Be ready to spend a little bit of money. This is not the time to skimp on costs!
5. Once at the store, don't just touch the mattress with your hand or sit on it. Actually lay down on it for 10-15 minutes. Don't let a salesperson rush you! If you have your partner shopping with you, both of you need to lay on the mattress together to determine if it works for you both!
6. Don't get caught up in labels. Firm / soft can mean different things to each person.
7. Be sure to check out several types of mattress styles. Today you will find a long list of materials used and each of them offer a different amount and type of support.
8. Once you have found a mattress you like, learn as much as you can about any warranties, guarantees and especially any specials that may be available. (Of course, don't buy based just on cost!)
9. Keep in mind that if you have a platform bed it is not necessary to buy a box spring.
Buying a new mattress does not have to be a stressful experience. Do your homework, set aside a day for shopping, and in no time at all you can have the perfect night's sleep on a mattress that makes you smile.